View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Pooh-Bah post: Level 0 exploitation

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see someone else was puzzled by these examples. The points made are reasonable, but I was left thinking wtf on most of the hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these hands are derived from actual examples. Many of them are modified for two reasons:

1- I did not want to include elements that could change the focus of what I was getting at. I am sure that if I threw the actual bets, calls and checks, I would be spending the next three weeks explaining the meta-game. However, in all of these examples, I was left with no real idea how to complete the hand. I am simply stating some thoughts that could be used when critical decisions need to be made.

2- I didn't look at the HHs and my memory sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
We call a large three bet with 97s. Villian doesn't bet his over pair on this EXTREMELY WET BOARD....?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does happen. I used this example to show when you should check or bet. The key is not falling for this trap.

[ QUOTE ]
I search for the villian that shoves A7 on a paired board to a huge river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all do. But you don't need to search very far.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't follow how we get to that river call with 99 when there are two overs and we can't see the action. WTF was villian doing in this hand with 43 for all his chips when he needs to double up and is short, trying to flop a wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned that he re-raised me before the flop. I had second pair + a gut shot on the flop. J87, the turn brought a 6, and the river brought a Q. I explained the thought process on the river and why I feel the call is correct.

The title of this is "Level 0 exploitation"

Level 0 being the Sklansky (red underline on 2+2?) of the different levels of thinking:

0- what do I have?
1- What does my opponent have?
2- What does my opponent think I have, etc.

I had a hand that was worth a call with the pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why suits don't matter in these examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rainbow boards. If I am missing on an important concept about suits on rainbow boards, I would be pleased to know.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't undertand why villian stacks off with second pair on the first hand. There isn't much you are calling that flop bet with besides an ace after calling a large 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explained one post above.

If you think that your typical small stakes SNG player thinks like this, you are handing away credit. Like a credit card company that gives easy credit, they are not maximizing there earn rate.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Some times a 1/4 pot or weak bet after a 3bet pf is sometimes a trap (or a draw). (call and get thurr ???) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call all of your chips and get there often, yes. I showed how to think of each hand on different boards and what plays have the larges equities on each play.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes there is a point of desperation. But understand the primary method for villian to double up and for you to swap to the short stack is for you to make that light/marginal call while behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a great addition if you explained this.