View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: My name is Indiana and I am a poker addict

It's hard to tell sweeng. I have been winning poker player for a bit more than 2 years. Poker has been my only income for 2 years. I feel semi-addicted. It's not like I feel I have to play. I don't neglect my diuties or friends. But I am putting things that do not have deadlines aside to play poker. It's just easier to play poker than to do something that requires hard work.

I will describe my situation with studies a bit clearer, to maybe hear opinion from some others, how to deal with my negligence.

I am in my 4th year out of 5 year studies after which I will get Master of Science degree (or sth like that, its not exactly same as US system, I live in Poland). I was offered to do PhD at my technical university (in IT), after I do the masters. But to do this, I will have to commit myself to this PhD thing. I will have to spend time to reaserch, program and read a lot about my PhD disciple (it is a PhD about combinatorial game thory btw - which has nothing to do with economic game theory and not much to do with poker).

And as I don't have strict deadlines (still one and half year till *starting* the PhD process) I do nothing about it. But if I keep doing nothing the opportunity to start this PhD will disappear. It's not like I don't want to study. I want. I want to do this PhD. It's just that it is something that will require hard work. And poker is here - easier, more entertaining, giving income (huge income as for Poland) and allowing you to dream (about beating some live televised events, being the balla and so on...)