View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

Tragedy. Quite unfortunate. Things like this will continue to give people the impression that they are a frequent occurence, despite that fact that many clubs are safe, quiet places, with nowhere near as much money in the house as the impression we are given.

I was told that this individual also used to play the NJ scene, in places I played and dealt. Unfortunately, I don't remember him. All accounts say he was nice.

To those saying to legalize poker, or to have more cameras/metal detectors, etc, please keep in mind that when facing individuals with shotguns who are hard up for money, one can never be completely safe.

As far as newspaper accuracy, this should shock no one. Reporters are simply doing their job, they're not in the business to wait around for 6 days to get an exact dollar figure. Who cares if they said "$100k plus" or "$250k" or whatever figure? Either way, basic logic dictates clubs are going to have a good deal of cash on hand on a weekend evening and thus are attractive targets for criminals.