View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get summer internships/work experience that will prepare you for the legal field as an undergraduate? How important are these when applying to law school in the first place?

From what I know, there seems to be a dearth of opportunities for undergrads in law as opposed to other fields such as i-banking, computer science, engineering, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

At my undergrad we had an internship program for a semester where I worked at a small law firm. If you go to school in a city, contact alumni that are lawyers, and I'm sure during the semester you can find one that wouldn't mind you shadowing them whether it be for a day, or a volunteer intern position for the semester.

If you plan on taking some time off before law school, there are plenty of legal intern/assistant/paralegal type positions that will be mostly administrative work, but will expose you to law.

I also did mock trial and moot court in undergrad. The average age for my school is like 27, meaning lots have advanced degrees or work experience, but its not a necessity.

I think a first career or advanced degree help for law school admission, but a year or two as a paralegal or legal assistant prob won't matter too much. Might help you with the 1L summer job search, but its up to you.

As for finding out if you'll like the work, contacting alumni and getting an internship seems to be your best bet.