View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Serenity (sort of a review)

Last week I saw all of the series Firefly which I thought was very good.

Last night I saw the movie Serenity. I was really excited about it. I enjoyed the movie, mainly because I love the characters after watching the series, but I have to admit, the re are several flaws in the plot.

First, let me mention what the movie is about without spoilers:
It is the future. Humans have settled in many worlds. About 7 years ago some of the outer rim planets fought in a war for independence but lost. The Alliance controls everybody. They run some tests on prodigys to make them psychics and fit for battle. The main one gets saved by her brother (he was very wealthy and had good contacts).
The Alliance wants to track her down because she knows secrets. They send their best killer.
She and her brother are part of the Firefly crew, led by a sargeant who was in the war (battle of Serenity Valley). The sargeant was part of the independents. Now he lives out of thievery (smuggling and stuff).
The movie is about them fleeing from Alliance. Other things pop up.

SPOILER ALERT:
The big secret was that the Alliance in an experiment to submit a rebel planet, gave them some medicine to get them less rebellious. Instead of making them submissive, it made them not do anything and they died of inaction. But 10% of the people reacted the opposite way becoming "Reavers". Which are people that eat other people.

My problem with this is that the Alliance with all of their resources could have easily killed the Reavers and destroyed the secret. It seems like killing the girl postpones the secret, but killing the Reavers would have helped.