View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
As NewTeaBag said, when we got the list of fights, there were a bunch of matchups listed as 45-60 lbs. "This must be the weight in kilos" I said.
"But that would mean fighters in the main event are 200 kilos."
"Do you think they have midgets fighting?"
We figured out what was going on when we walked in and saw some kids who were literally 5 or 6 years old in full muay thai regalia. I was a little apprehensive about watching little kids kick the crap out of each other but I ultimately found it an extremely enjoyable experience. Some of the best money I've ever spent, in fact. I wouldn't have minded if the whole thing were nothing but kids. The one thing that struck me as really odd was that the referee kept adjusting the cup on one of the 8-year-olds. This happened a number of times during the fight. For some reason the trainers seemed to get upset when I tried to do this after the fight.

One of the reasons we went to the Phuket town stadium was that we figured it would be cheaper than the 1300-1500 baht charged by the Bangla stadium. We ended up saving a few hundred baht, but the taxi was 1000. At least Chang was cheap. Mmmm...Chang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go to the stadium on the outskirts of town, on the way to the airport, near the Tesco Lotus? That place is great. I agree the kids were awesome. When we first sat down I thought we got ripped off and were just going to watch kids fight, then dogs, then roosters and eventually just leave sad and a few thousand baht lighter. I was pleased to see some awesome 'big' and 'lady' fights though.

Also, seriously, underpaying for tickets and moving up a few rows? Lame, also, totally noticeable if you went to that stadium that I mentioned. It was a room with a boxing ring and people a few steps away that would be certain to notice. Good way to save a few hundred baht, I guess???!