View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Medium Pairs and Marginal Broadway Hands - To Raise or Not to Raise?

I play 9- or 10-handed FR games (200 and 400) against a motley crew of donkeys, nits and strong players - even a few, incredibly, who might be better than me!

Fairly obviously, I'm very happy to open raise from the last three or four spots with hands like TT, KQs, ATs and better. Sometimes that takes down the blinds and a couple of limpers or, if not, I need a very good reason not to cbet into one or two opponents post-flop and try to take it down there and then. If I can't, well, that's another story...

Anyway, where I'm struggling is what to do with more marginal hands like KTo, 88 and QJs in around the MP2 and MP3/Hijack positions. I find myself limping a lot and wondering whether I should have raised and used the same strategy I do in the CO and Button and with my better holdings in earlier position.

I know we could debate how to play specific hands like KTo (probably using the word "fold" a lot) until the cows come home, but what do we think is the best move with these kind of hands as a general rule in those mid-late positions? Limp and try to catch a flop or raise and hope nobody in better position calls?