Thread: IGN Top 100
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhh. I think these two games are ranked just fine. If they were as hugely impactful on future games as you imply, they would have cracked the top 10 in that 1997 list.

They are great games that made incremental improvements to already existing concepts. The games that are remembered on top lists are the ones that broke ground with new concepts or reinvented old ones. You are probably overestimating these games' importance because it was in your gaming heyday.