View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]

i don't necessarily disagree with EVERYTHING you said, but I do disagree with at least some of it. so for the sake of discussion, let's do this exercise.

[ QUOTE ]

with a new stadium opening up soon, the money is largely irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

$150 million is nothing to sneeze at. especially since it's like 1/6 of the cost of the stadium. between hypothetical santana's and arod's contracts, the yankees could have built two stadiums.

[ QUOTE ]

lots of people think Kennedy will max out as a #3 type.

[/ QUOTE ]
like who? there are also plenty of people who say he'll max out at Mussina's or Maddux's level, which was much better than a #3. plus, #3 on what team? he's better than a #3 for the pirates or rockies. do you mean #3 for the yankees/red sox?

[ QUOTE ]
Melky is fine but not hard to replace.

[/ QUOTE ]
quick, name 5 available players who are as good or better players than melky. then compare their ages and salaries.

[ QUOTE ]

if you're the Yankees you should try to get the best available player at all positions, not nec. the best value.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh... going back to point #1 about money being irrelevant, do you really think they can get 9 players + 6 pitchers, pay each anywhere from $15 to $25 million every year, build a new stadium without the city's subsidies, and not go broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

well given this is mainly off of ESPN/CBS/and other web sites but I've never seen Kennedy mentioned as a having great stuff or B being anything more than a solid middle of the rotation pitcher.

I don't disagree with the views of Thay3r etc but I do think most Yankee fans view their prospects with a best case scenario type of view.

I.E. Joba/Hughes can be awesome...thus they will be

So Andy/Wang/Joba/Hughes/Kennedy is going to eb an awesome pitching lineup for the next 5 years.

cept I don't see us making the playoffs next year if that is our starting 5.

Next year who do you want pitching a GAME 7 in the playoffs and feel like yes that guy is gonna be lights out.
Hughes...no
Joba...no
Kennedy...no
Wang...not really
Andy....yes