View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Noob in trouble: Stack size effect on pot odds decision in tourney

As for stacks - I disregard every stack number during a tournament unless it's the person I'm playing against in a certain hand (and obviously analysis afterwards). Realizing your stack in a tournament compared to the average stack should not affect your play at all (tighter or looser). But for your stack now, you're only drawing to 8 outs max (explained next) and do not need to give up your lead on the table to try and get more. Granted, there are only 55 places paid and could probably use the scapegoat "win or nothing" but I still disagree with it.

As for counting outs, you have an OESD, hitting a 9 or 4 for it. With 3 people calling/ending up all in before you, it's safe to say that atleast one of the players has a flush draw. Another probably has TPTK or JJ-AA or even a set. The third player could be considered to have TPTK, set, JJ-AA, and even a straight draw as well (J9, J7). All of which you're drawing very thin to, a four being the only reasonable out to make the nuts for you, providing it is not the 4 of diamonds, leaving you with 3 outs.

I personally don't see how you can call this at all unless you feel like gambling completly and praying to hit something, which you usually won't.

And you are most definitely giving too much thought onto chip stacks. They mean virtually nothing until you're in a higher blind structure, and even then you should be focusing on reads and plays made by others moreso than how many chips you have over this or that person.