View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: How much does someone make for being sponsored by a poker site?

Moneymaker and Raymer are/were in a slightly different situation than Hachem--Hachem had not won a seat in the ME via an online satellite. Shortly after Hachem won, a big powwow was held at the Wynn, where each of the online sites made their pitch to bid for Hachem's endorsement. Scuttlebutt I heard was his original deal was for one year, for which he got $7 Million in cash, plus being bought in to as many of the WPT/WSOP events as he wanted (with the understanding that he would play quite a few of them), PLUS being bought into a fair number of the big tournaments on 'Stars (Sunday Million, WCOOP, etc).

Evidently, this deal has been extended, as Hachem continues to be affiliated with 'Stars, although how much money he gets in the clear (as opposed to just tournament buy-ins) is not information I have. 'Stars is not a "backer" on these tournament buy-ins btw; they don't profit from the players' wins, in either the WPT/WSOP events or the 'Stars events--they just want the players to be playing in the events, so they maintain their visibility.

I assume that Moneymaker and Raymer have similar deals (though possibly not as much free-and-clear cash).

Re FullTilt: It's true that Lederer and Ferguson have an equity stake, so their "payment" is obvious. As for the rest, I don't know--they appear to have various levels of sponsored player. For example, I'm sure that Jen Harman's deal is different from Greg Mueller, which is different from Matusow's, Phil Gordon's, or that of [insert name of latest 22-year old bracelet winner here]. The biggest names probably have similar deals to the 'Stars players--the lesser names may just get bought in to tournaments, and such, in exchange for wearing their logo-wear.