View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Early in WSOP Event #25 - Best line with a set?

My standard line would have probably been:
bet 350, bet 600-750, shove.

I kinda hate your underbet on the flop. Think about the hands that you believe would call your 200 chip bet (KQ/KJ/97/99-QQ...) they are all calling for 350 too and, if anything, 350 looks slightly weaker than 200.

If you made a potish bet on the flop and then decided to check the turn he would have had to bet 800-1000 (not that I really like your turn check) and you could easily crai with KQ feeling pot committed to call you (assuming he is an internet player who thinks about such things.)

What I would have done (assuming I bet 300 on the flop) is donk out with a weak lead for 600-750 on the turn, hoping that he could catch 2 pair or something to hang himself with or that he feels he is not deep enough to fold his AK. As played through the flop, I would also lead for 600-750 although this would appear to be a bigger bet and would be more likely to induce a fold from KQ and definitely from KJ.

While your turn check induced a bet this time, I know a lot of internet types who advocate checking behind on the turn with AK/KQ (especially KQ) so I am not sure that this is the right play if you respect his game.

As played up through his turn bet, I like a check call and a check on the river. I don't think that KQ is ever calling you if you either crai here or if you call and then open shove the river. I however believe that an internet type is trained to value bet thin and will be betting this river with AK and maybe even KQ...

Maybe I am reading too much into your player description but I am imagining a 2+2 type

(also, you might want to 'notify mod to move this to High Stakes MTT for better discussion)