View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: My Dad\'s [censored] Union

Maybe the company will just fire the NY depot manager in response to this? We have no way of knowing whether or not this will be the case, and you haven't shown that it would in anyway difficult to fire the manager. It also seems plausible that productivity would be higher under a different manager, as a lot of productivity will be wasted bad mouthing, debating with, not listening to, trying to sabotage or get fired, the manager (etc.). The reality is that there are plenty people that have nearly equally good qualifications that would take the managers job, and the company itself would be better off picking one that the employees didn't disdain with a passion. The union's actions let the larger company know that productivity loss would be the case if the manager stayed, and my guess is that he will simply be replaced or at least transfered. The union plays a useful role in increasing productivity if the company lets it instead of fighting with it, making the company aware that these problems will occur under this manager. My guess is that firing the manager is, and should be, exponentially more likely to occur than the scenario you laid out. In general as well, the belief that a union will be eliminated if it, you know, actually is effective, is, in the vast majority of cases, simply an illusion that is useful for the company to foster to gain control over the workers and more profits.