View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Soccer (Football) fans help me out

actually, that's almost not a half-bad idea or at least it's something to work with.

Now that you have a definite 'winner' every night does every team really need partial-credit just for getting to overtime and a pseudo-tie?

Teams and fans are reluctant to take that away because you're 'suppsoed' to get credit for a tie.
So they give them one more standings point to play for in the shootout so that it actually means something...but not TOO much.

meh, boooring.
Teams end up just coasting through a conservative OT so that they can take their chances and roll the dice in the shootout.

And overly complicated points-systems that include psuedo-ties turn off fans. So don't try to solve it by making it worse.

Why don't they just do:
5 points for a regulation win
4 points for an overtime-win
3 points for a shoot-out win
2 points for an overtime-loss
1 point for a shoot-out loss
0 points for a regulation loss
Ridiculous enough?

so teams would have a record of:
13-2-5-4-3-12

meh, that sucks!

just make it wins and losses with no OTL's or ties or anything. I'm liking it the more I think about it.

yeah, yeah... the shootout stuff isn't REAL hockey.
yeah yeah...it sucks to play so well and make it all the way to the shootout and not even get any credit for it like you used to when it would just be a tie.

Big deal.
Wins are exciting. That's the point.
There's heart-break in all sports.
Lost in a shoot-out? too bad, that's life.

You don't get partial credit for getting to OT in basketball or getting to extra-innings in baseball.
You also don't get partial-credit for an overtime loss in hockey if it's the playoffs.
Win 4 games, that's all that matters.

Make it a full point for a win and nothing if you lose.
Maybe a 10 minute OT before you go to the shootout.

Go hockey!!!
Do the right thing!!