View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. I agree the douchebag parents contribute to the world sucking.
2. The douchebag parents are irrelvant when deciding if people like bigbb33 contribute to the world sucking.

Anybody that thinks the douchebag parents deserve to die for what they did is just plain retarded. I'm sure the parents and family of the girl that committed suicide might feel that way with good reason, but its up to the rest of society (who isn't emotionally involved) to objectively look at the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you generally speaking, but you seem to not realize that people like bigbb33 ARE society. You disagree with what society says and so you claim its emotional and not objective and not good reason, but many in society might feel these parents deserve to be shot or have their house burnt down or some similar extreme punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not following. The fact that many people in society feel the best course of action is to take radical (and extremely violent) action against the douchebag parents (seems like thats a good way to get the nouns straight in the story) is what I'm saying the problem with our society is. I do realize people like BigBB33 are part of society, but I'm saying our society has a number of very big problems (as it always will) and his attitude is one of them.

I mean at a very basic level this story can be boiled down to: Girl A hurts Girl B's feelings. Girl B's family decides to get revenge and hurt Girl A's feelings. Unfortunately, it gets out of control and ends tragically. Now many peoples' reactions are: Family B caused Family A great pain, now we're going to [censored] with Family B and cause them pain. In some cases people want to take violent physical action to cause that pain. Of course this also has tons of opportunities to take unexpected tragic turns. For instance what if a 12 year old family friend is visiting and gets caught in the house while some wacko burns it down for revenge.

Call me a passifist, a pussy, a chickenshit, a whatever, but I'd like to think if I were in Family A's position I'd actively call for people to leave them alone and spend my time trying to raise awareness of depression and the importance of monitoring childrens' internet activity (which it seems they were doing well anyway). If for some reason I couldn't get over my emotional response I'd hope my friends and family would help control me until I became rational.

One last thing, there was an article about the NYC underground poker club robbery and murder that quoted the victim's widow saying she didn't want the shooters to die because she and her husband didn't believe in the death penalty. I have so much respect for her ability to say that and I think thats the kind of attitude and type of people that benefit society the most.