View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: NY Times article about lack of readiness for college

I think this is a problem that starts long before high school, so I wouldn't put all of the blame on standardized tests.

Here's a wacky theory:
Coming to college is becoming a more and more common thing. In the past, going to college was considered a big step up and a big deal; nowadays, NOT going to college is considered pretty bad. Maybe more and more people who would have opted out of extra school in the past are being socially pressured into going now, and this is the consequence.

But yeah high school classes suck IMO and do little to help develop abstract thought. I say we force the students to shape up or fail them.

But it goes beyond writing too. When I was a TA for a physical geography class I was simply amazed at how difficult it could be to explain concepts like a rain shadow or angle of sun declination to people, and how they would just memorize what happens instead of gain a real understanding for why it happens. IMO the second way is MUCH easier and more rewarding, but our education system has taught people--even the fully capable ones--just to memorize.