View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Case in Point...

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard a few testimonials from westerners that lived in Saudi Arabia (or some comparably religious Muslim society) who, on the subject of Islamic treatment of women, insist that the vast majority of these women are living how they want to live -- i.e, they're just as religious and conservative as the men, and think the strict laws pertaining to women are just. I'm open to evidence to the contrary but, assuming that's true, it would be wrong to call these women "oppressed."

[/ QUOTE ]

Or to call abused wives in america that return to their husband abused because they obviously like it. Or children that want their abusive parents back. Or hostages that find 'good' in their abducters, etc.

It's like the brainwashing of children situation. you can't respect somebodies choice/opinion until they've been able to appreciate the options, then if they make a free choice, go fer it.

There's a nagging at the back of my mind that there were a fair amount of slaves who thought they were 'supposed to be' slaves. I wonder about caste systems .. do the untouchables not think they are supposed to be in that caste? Or serfs in feudal days? were/are they right?

What about women from other countries that marry in or work and live in one of these cultures. Do they generally say, " yep, this is much better for us women".?

If it's true that that's what women want, by all means do it, but until they have a free run at making the choice their opinion is Stockholmed.

luckyme