View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Apathy or unquenched desire?

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you be more specific? All this vague stuff does nothing for me....are you implying that -EV moves are necessary to be a good player?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that you need to play hands and situations very differently in a tournament than you would in a cash game, because the need to accumulate chips is so desperate. So you need to be more aggressive with your hands and you need to attack weakness, and you need to move at pots where you have any decent equity and can win a big one-- and ANY time you think you can make people fold, you should. Taking a pot without showdown is the surest way to not be outdrawn. Many people want to think that just waiting around for their big hands and always getting the money in good is enough, but it's not. You simply don't get enough hands to take that approach and have consistent success.

I personally prize getting the big stack in tournaments because it gives me the leverage to pressure people and boost my folding equity-- and it gives me a healthy cushion if I lose a pot. I try not to play for large chunks of my big stack in marginal spots, but I will flip short stacks for small pieces of it all day. I'll move in on draws against smaller stacks all day. So what if I'm 25% or 30% to win when called? That's great-- they fold so often that I usually have enough equity when called to make the move +EV on the whole.