View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am not saying NEVER fold when you hit your target SPR, hit your hand, and commit to the pot.

But you should RARELY fold at your target SPRs after 1/3rd of your stack goes in and you have top pair, good kicker or an overpair.

The book details some examples of when you might reconsider your commitment to the pot. Certainly, REM comes into play. Range, of course, is highly dependent on what type of foe you are facing.

But for example, last night I was playing 5-10 PL with a player I had never seen. He has ~500 and limps in. I have 575 with AQ, and raise it to 50 (can bring it in for 50 any time). Everyone folds to him, and he calls. 110 in the pot after rake. Flop comes Q rag rag. He checks. I bet 85. He thinks a bit, and reraises the pot.

Would you fold there? I didn't. I put him all in, and he turned over JJ. He was married to a pocket pair - just betting "the don't" on the Q or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Binions,

Nice hand - I will use it as an example for others in the thread.

You guys can see that in this hand Binions decided preflop that, even though he'd never played with this particular opponent, based on the general game conditions he is comfortable creating a stack-to-pot ratio of ~4.5 with a hand like AQ and committing with TPTK. Also, he feels that one acceptable way to commit against a random opponent in this game is to just bet out.

He expects to be ahead of his opponents' range when he commits, and he expects to make money. In addition, because he's already thought this out, his decision in the moment becomes less nerve-racking.

YOU adjust the specifics to YOUR game. You might decide that 4.5 is too much money to put into the pot with AQ in your game because the players play very tight to preflop raises and are tight postflop when facing bets. You decide that you are only willing to put in 3 times the pot with AQ after raising preflop. You might then decide that that's almost impossible with your ideal stack size, so instead you decide to play a much smaller pot (say SPR of 17) where your commitment decision won't come until later in the hand when you have more information.

However, you might then decide that, actually, 4.5 is not too much to commit to if you let THEM do the betting, or if you check-call the flop, or bet the flop and lead the turn, or min-raise preflop, etc. etc.

And you might do the same type of thing with other hands, like say, 76s. You may decide to do x preflop with the intention of doing y postflop such that you maximize profits - whether that means stealing the pot, making the best hand and having good implied odds, etc.

The point is that you start thinking through the hand as a whole, and plan ahead, rather than viewing each individual action as some sort of independent and often excruciating decision.

-S

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand plays itself.....this is never a tough decision, theres nothing to even consider. i feel spr is just a fancy name for such a basic concept that pretty much everyone who wins already uses even if they dont call it spr, and its disappointing u focused half of a poker book around something so basic. the toughest decisions i face, spr rarely comes into the equation.

we already have enough basic poker books imo