View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: AK preflop. Question on Concept 22 in NLHTAP.

Full ring NL cash game. BLinds 1/2. Relatively aggressive (typically have a preflop raise). Your in the cut off with AK. Stack sizes between 150-220.

UTG, Relatively tight, thinking player, limps in. UTG +2 calls, MP2 (tricky player who sometimes tries to make fancy moves)raises to 12 . Folds to you and you decide to reraise him and bet 36. Folds to UTG who comes over the top popping it up to 100. MP2 folds and now it's to you.

This is a spot where I'd lay AK down. The way the action played out and with what we know about UTG I'd put him on two hands, AA or KK, leaning more toward AA. His raise amount tells you that he's committed to calling should you push all in.

Now if UTG folded and MP2 repopped it I might push. He's a different player. His range is much wider than UTG, so while he might still have a decent pair, QQ, JJ, we have some outs. He could even have a hand like A,J so we could be way ahead. We might have some fold equity. When you factor in everything we're probably getting the correct odds against his range to put it all in here.