View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: what constitutes hitting n running??

[ QUOTE ]
so schnieds, i, myself a mere mortal and average poker player, decide to play someone hu and realize after about 30min that i am severly outclassed. you believe i should play "for awhile" for etiquette purposes despite obv shortcomings?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are down, go ahead and quit whenever. If you are close to even, say into chat, "hey I'm done, I realized you're pretty good" and in general your opposition will not get angry about you quitting cuz you also complimented him. If you are up a fair amount, you type into chat "hey I'm quitting soon since I realized you play pretty well, but I'll give a chance to win some back, unless you don't care if I quit now."

As an example, maybe a month ago there were three 200/400s going on Stars. I was playing all of them. One of the three somehow ends up me and Quackers HU, I keep playing out of hope some of the guys in the two other games decide to join ours too. About 20 mins later, the two other games quickly end and me and Quackers are left, still playing in the third. Since our HU began, I've been crushing Quackers pretty good, though I don't really feel like continuing to play him since it's now obv the other guys aren't going to join this. I type, "I kinda wanna quit, I kept playing you hoping those others would join us but they didn't... since I'm crushing you, I'll keep playing another 20 mins if you want me to give you a chance to win some back, otherwise, I wanna quit now." Quackers responds telling me he doesn't care if I quit now.

I dunno, I usually find it's good business to be courteous to people, especially if you play often on a site such as Stars where there aren't HU tables at many of the bigger lhe stakes. It may come back to bite you another day, like say if you're playing a good spot HU in a 6max game, and a third guy (who you abruptly quit on and angered) joins and you both type "HU plz" and now this guy says no cuz he is holding a grudge against you. Being courteous doesn't take much effort, in general isn't really giving up much EV (if you were crushing a guy who you think plays well, you may in fact have the edge the next 15 mins, esp if you become aware he's starting to press to try to win some back before you quit), and just leaves everyone happy and may work to your advantage in the future.