View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Default When Bookies Make Big Line Errors

I'm curious as to what the appropriate action is when your local bookie makes a huge line error. A friend of mine is a local book. Several weeks back, another bookie he knows came out with a mistake on the Steelers-Broncos game, as he had Denver favored by 4 when the Steelers were 4 - 4.5 faves everywhere else. My friend places a big bet on Pittsburgh +4, and after it's accepted, he tells him he should probably look at changing the line. He then bet Denver with another local book (who had the line right) and made a nice middle.

Well I'm looking my local's sheet, and he has the O/U on the SF - Car game @ 42. This is clearly an error since it's 35.5 at most other places. Looks like he mistakenly wrote down the TB - NO o/u twice.

So what's the right play here? Do I hammer the u42 and after he accepts the bet tell him he should probably change the line? (Btw, I think it makes a lot more sense to just bet the under and not try for a middle here. If anyone disagrees I'd like to know why.) Or do I just make the bet and not say anything? And I should probably put this in tonight before someone else notices and he changes it, right?

Fwiw, he's up against me so far this year (don't ask), and I brought him a customer about six weeks back who has been his biggest donator ever (this local book is small time). Also, he never changes the lines he puts out on his sheets, which he makes on Wednesday nights. Previously, I've never seen anything more than 3 points off what he has on his sheet.