View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Career Question- State School vs. Big Private

imo nobody really will care about the difference between a 2.8 and a 3.8 or whatever. GPA doesn't mean much to most employers, imo. Unless you are like cream-of-the-crop, then it helps, surely.

Cornell would look awesome on a resume. But do you want to "struggle" for the next several years or take it slightly easier and have a bit lower stress?

Is Cornell worth the extra tens of thousands of dollars in the long-run? Maybe not. In the business world you have collegiate superstars who are mediocre, and you have community college guys that sparkle. THere is not a direct relationship between college and "the pros". Much like in sports.

Troy Smith just won Heismann at Ohio State and he BARELY caught on as a 3rd-stringer behind 2 terrible QB's in Baltimore, while Kevin Kolb went to the University of Houston, merely won Conference USA championship (not even a BCS conference), yet was the third drafted QB last year, and is poised to take over for Donovan freaking McNabb.

Sports and education aren't exactly the same, but my opinion still stands.

Myself? I got a 5-year accredited architecture degree from the University of Houston for $17,000. I know people who spent a lot more to go to "better" schools like Texas A&M or Washington University in St. Louis, and their degree is not accredited. (Meaning it is tougher and takes longer for them to get licensed.)

Sorry for the long post, I cannot speak on what a "great" college is like, because I went to a cheap state school, but I certainly feel I got more "bang for the buck" at the school I attended. So in my limited opinion, I'd say drop down to the state school if it is much cheaper, and slightly less stressful. Try to flourish there, meet more people, and enjoy being out of student loan debt 10 years sooner! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]