View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Tourney - Ever hold one?

I've had 2 heads up tournaments. Both followed this structure pretty much:
-7 games of round robin. I found my schedules on www.crowsdarts.com . I've found that 7 games produces slightly less ties (although that is almost def. inaccurate).
- All rounds last ~25 minutes. Start with t500 at the beginning of each round. 10-20 for 10 minutes. 25-50 for 10 minutes. 50-100 for 5 minutes. After that it is AI every hand until a winner is found (although I think a better way would be whoever is winning after 25 minutes. FWIW 95% of matches finished in under 22 or so).
-Top 4 records advance to finals. For tie breakers (happened both times), we would add up all of your opponents records to determine your tie-breaker score (so the person with the "harder" bracket advances).
-Seeding was also based on the "harder schedule" principal; if there were two 6-1's and two 5-2's, the 6-1 with the harder schedule would play the 5-2 with the easier schedule and vise versa.
-These 4 players play in a single elimination setup, with the losers of the 1st matches playing each other for 3rd and 4th. Probably a good idea to give t1000 for the playoffs.
-We pay 40% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, 20% for 3rd, 10% for 4th.

Some basic info:
-The # of people playing were 32 and 28, respectively.
-Although the blinds schedule may look like a crapshoot, bot h times you could guess the winner correctly for 70% of the matches. There was definatly an edge against less experienced players.
-When players arrived, they payed and signed in on a sheet. The numbers on the sheet were randomized. That way, nobody complained about how the seeding was "fixed".
-There were 2 games going per 6 ft table and 3 games per 8 ft table (though that was pretty crowded).
-1 deck per game. Chips never left their table.
-Both tournaments took about 4 hours from when everyone was told to "take their seats."