View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: The ol\' hidden high denomination chip trick

[ QUOTE ]
What idiot doesn't make sure how much a bet is before calling? Whoever does do this, I gurantee, only does it once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he's a victim of an angle shooter. Hiding your chips ain't kosher.

Here you are playing what seems to be a happy, friendly NL1/2 game. The guy one away from you says "all-in" and puts out two nice, neat stacks. Both are obviously 4 chips high. One seems to have all red. The other seems to have all blue. You can't see there's a black at the bottom of the blues without either touching his chips, or putting your head fairly close to the stack, or asking. One doesn't have to be an idiot to fall for this. We're not playing NL10/25 here.

I've been surprised to find out after I was well into a hand that my opponent had a couple blacks hidden, and I found myself wishing I hadn't played quite the way I did. I don't recall ever saying "call" to an all-in and being surprised by what I hadda cough up, but I'm not so silly as to think it couldn't happen to me, though. I could see being tired or distracted and being surprised by such a thing.

Let's think back a couple weeks to a hand involving a 2+2er. $100 pot at the river, his opponent says "jacks". 2+2er flashes a ten that made a pair of tens and mucks. Guy who said "jacks" tosses his cards to the dealer face down. 2+2er says "well can I at least see the jacks?" The cards are turned over and there are no jacks there. What kinda IDIOT falls for that? Well... all of us, eventually. We just aren't always on constant guard against such things.