View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

[ QUOTE ]
Now I know why this is, when cutting the holes in the morning, the worker simply works backwards and takes the pin from #18 to #17, #17 to #16 and so on. It's easy. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I get sick and tired of knowing where every pin is going to be after I play the first hole. To make matters worse, my home course has 3 par 3's on the back nine, #11, 14 and 17. So the pin is always the same on every par 3! That bites.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually this drives me crazy too for some reason. Particularly when the par 3s happen to have the same flags every time because they're spaced three holes apart or whatever. I don't like that a lot of courses basically only have three setups because of this and wish there was more variety. But I suspect we are in an overwhelming minority; most people either wouldn't notice this or wouldn't care, so nothing is done about it. I see some courses try to add "some" variety to their sets by using 1-2-3 zones and not just rotating them, actually staggering them on some holes. But still, it means only three setups. The GPS company I was familiar with actually had six hole locations on each hole which would rotate throughout the week. But yeah, if you played on Sunday and then the next Saturday, you would see the same set.

Also, very few clubs out here are closed on Mondays, only some of the country clubs but not all of them, so the thing about flags being the same each day of the week isn't valid here.