View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you explain consciousness? Or the big bang? God is a decent explanation of both of these things. The tooth fairy isn't. I don't think god necessarily exists, and still less do I think that the jewish or christian or muslim versions of god are likely to be true, but to compare god to the tooth fairy is to make a tenuous juxtaposition at best.

Sure, yahweh is clearly man-made, and so is the tooth fairy, but at least if god DID exist, then certain things might make more sense. If the tooth fairy existed, things would make less sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what? God is nothing more than a jack-of-all-trades Tooth Fairy who can do anything. Like the Tooth Fairy, God is just something people to use to explain away anything that they do now know how to explain using normal means. It's just an artificial way to fill a void in someone's understanding of the world, but I don't see how anyonne who is truly interested in answering questions like the ones you proposed could possibly find the explanation of "God" to be satisfying.

"Why are we conscious? How did the universe start? Hmm....OH OF COURSE because GOD made it so, that has to be it." No, I don't think so. People only attribute those things to God because they don't know how to explain it any other way.