View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: What is the most tragic thing you\'ve ever had to deal with

One night I was out drinking with friends, we were on our way home and I got pulled over and drunk-tested on a bridge (the Texas Street bridge if you know anything about the Shreveport-Bossier bridge). I never should have drove, but the cop let me go and I made it home safely. Slept for a few hours and woke up to watch Kansas, Kentucky, & Duke (my three least favorite college b-ball teams) lose. All in all a wonderful day.

The next morning I find out that my mom has cancer. It seems at this point that she will get treatment and things could be okay. Within two weeks she is admitted into the ICU and put on a respirator. Within two more weeks she dies.

Aside from the obvious tragedy of having a parent die, I think what made it worse was that it wasn't an instantaneous death. Rather things were fine, then bad news from the doctor, then a steady unchecked descent into death is what was so tragic about it.

Things I learned:
* Obviously don't drink and drive
-I added the first part because what I found so surprising is that I had a great day of not going to jail to a terrible day of finding out my mom had cancer, which leads to thing I learned number 2
* Sadly, whenever something great happens to me now, I can't help but to get anxious/nervous and expect the other shoe to drop, with something tragically horrible following the good.
- Others
* My mom was was my favorite member of my family, and I miss her dearly.
* Staying in hospitals for a prolonged period of time sucks

How did I get through it. I just kept waking up and going about my life. At times it's hard, still two years later, and I don't expect that to change for the rest of my life. However, I don't think constantly grieving is productive, or would be something my mother would want.

That's that, I'm depressed as [censored] now.