View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Assani\'s NFL Wagering Thread

I post this same thread over at footballguys, and this post by kensat30 has convinced me to lay off the SF/Pit game I think:

Let me preface by saying that I am a Niner homer.

Normally I would agree with you that Pittsburgh is a lock to blowout the Niner's in Pittsburgh. But after watching the first two games, I would urge you to reconsider. The 49er's are playing an entirely new ballgame this year due to their defensive FA acquisitions and Patrick Willis. We've proven that we can beat an equally matched team on the road(STL). How did we do it? Ball control. Our D keeps everything in front. Did you see Fitzgerald and Boldin get shutdown? Holt was almost non-existant against us. Only Bruce was lighting us up, all with the underneath stuff.

We play 2 deep on virtually every play. I really don't think Ben is going to have his way with SF, and furthermore I think we are very well suited to shutdown Willie Parker's style of play. Our LBs are fast, you're not gonna get the corner on them. It all adds up to a low scoring game IMO. And when you consider that Frank Gore can score from anywhere on the field, giving up double digit points just does not make sense to me. 17 PIt 14 SF is very possible.

#1 We have not been beaten deep one single time this year despite playing great WRs in Boldin/Fitz, Bruce/Holt.
#2 Patrick Willis is a freaking monster and allows us some major flexibility in our play calling.
#3 Pittsburgh O has looked good, but I think Ben's weaknesses play to our strengths, we can pressure him and force him to dink and dunk.
#4 Our secondary can create turnovers.
#5 Willie Parker will have a hard time running outside
#6 Frank Gore is the equalizer.