View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Do I Misunderstand The Double Slit Experiment

We already understand light to be a self propagating electromagnetic wave. That's what a photon of light is. Electric and Magnetic Forces fluxing back and forth against each other and propagating forward as a result. This Electromagnetic Fluxing Field of forces constituting a photon in travel is spread out in space. I don't think it's well understood what happens when that spread out travelling fluxing field of EM forces gets its energy absorbed when it makes contact with something like a Film. The Field of Forces is spread out in space, but the energy doesn't get absorbed in the same smeared out way. It somehow all gets pulled down into a single "point". That's what we see on the Film when we interpret it as a "particle" hitting the screen. But it's not really a particle hitting the screen. What we see is the result of a spread out self propagating wave of Fluxing EM forces getting the spread out energy pulled into a single "point" of absorption.

With such a view it's not so hard to see why a single self propagating photon "wave" might pass through both slits and thereby have it's structure of electromagnetic flux lines altered so that the way the altered wave has it's energy pulled together into a point of absorption is also altered in a way that can be measured by looking at the statistical pattern of absorption points on the Film for a number of such photons.

So it's our mistaken notion that because a photon looks like a particle at the Film it must have gone through one slit or the other. It's only when we take a measurement to observe it going through one of the slits that this is really the case. What happens then is that we alter the spread out EM Flux lines with a kind of Partial Absorption, forcing the the spread out energy to get pulled into the slit local, but without complete absorption into a point. The structure of the EM flux lines is then altered in a way that the new structure is absorbed at the Film with the same statistical earmarks as if the slit were the origin of the photon.

I don't know how well this explanation holds up against all the experiments they've done. But if it does, then the spooky thing is not so much that a photon of light - which we already model as a self propagating EM wave - behaves this way. But that all so called "particles" do as well. Not all "particles" are as easily understood as smeared out distributions of self interacting Forces of some kind. If that's what they are then I don't think they've identified the "Forces".

PairTheBoard