View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Wow new kind of solar energy

[ QUOTE ]
I recently read about a new photovoltaic technology that drops the cost per Watt drastically, meaning that houses could be being built with solar roofs within the next 5 years. This would revolutionize the electric power generation and distribution industries, and could completely decentralize them. I expect power companies to lobby to slap massive taxes and regulations on the technology, as it could nearly wipe out the multi-billion dollar (and government created and maintained) electric energy cartel in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I've always thought power companies should do, is subsidize solar panels in people's houses. Pay for a percentage of the cost and have it hooked into their grid so that any excess energy then can be distributed by them and they can make money off it. They could then provide enegry at low solar times if necessary and still turn a nice profit. I think there was even some company that thought of this idea and was using it. Can't remember when though.

This would seem like such a logical way to both promote solar and profit, but most government created monopolies are pretty stupid when it comes to new ideas. (And yes I know the phrase "government creted monopolies" is being redundant.)