View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Sizing raises: based on pot size, blind size, or what?

[This assumes we're talking about hold'em here]

Generally use a multiplier of the blinds (e.g., 3x) pre-flop. After the flop, though, bets and raises are usually represented as a percentage of the pot. That's the basis of your confusion, I think.

Most players (including myself) vary pre-flop raises by blind level. In the first (10/20) level of a tourney, I will usually raise to 80 or 100 if I'm the first in. At the 15/30 level, I'll usually raise to 100 or 120. After that, I'll stick with 3x for a few levels. Once the blinds get to 100/200 and beyond, my standard opening raise is 2.5x (500).

And yes, as said above, certainly bump up your raises if there are already limpers into the pot. The guideline of adding 1x per limper is ok, but be ready to adjust that to table conditions... if you have a monster and a limper has already shown that they can't lay down a hand before the flop, bump it up more than usual. I know this flies in the face of not adjusting raise sizes based on hand strength, but at lower levels players are *never* paying close enough attention to be able to detect this.

Resist the temptation to minraise (2x the BB) with your monster hands. You'll be giving good odds for several others to stick around (which is the last thing you want with a big hand), plus you almost always get more money into the pot by raising and getting one or two callers than by minraising and getting three or four.

Post-flop, if you're first in and want to bet, you should guage your bet as a percentage of the pot size. It could be anywhere from 1/4 the pot to more than the pot, but just understand the odds your giving to the other players when you bet. While this varies significantly based on my hand, the flop texture, and opponents' tendencies, my standard post-flop bet is 3/4 pot whether I hit the flop or not.

Good luck!

Matt