View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Getting Poker Rate at Commerce

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the very helpful information. I don't think I can stand starting at 40BBs. Therefore I will make a U-turn and stay around The Bicycle instead. I don't really get the "No Max BI" thing. I have never played in a game where players can sit with 500BB as soon as they join the table. What kind of strategy should I use in that case? For example, say I have worked to build a 300BB stack. One unknown sits down and buy-in 300BBs. When he over bet shoving the river, I guess I would find it tough to call with 2nd nuts. Or if the money gets in on the flop when I have a straight against a set, the variance would be quite high coz I might lose 300BB in a hand with the nuts on the flop. Not saying that it's less profitable or something, just the risk/variance sounds much higher in that way

[/ QUOTE ]

If your BR is short you might want to get up when you get uncomfortably deep (since a huge chunk of it is on the table possibly matched by other deep stacks, some of whom play well).

But in the fixed or spread buy games I often take an opposite tack. My BR is relatively short and under constant expenditure pressure with a sick double nut. In these games sometimes I quickly get very deep (example, last night I had 340 times the BB) where I cover everybody (or almost everybody). Now I'll be in position to gamble with big edges against the other deepish stacks (if there are any) and dance around the other big stack (if he plays deep stack well). Against the small stacks all I'm looking for is a moderate edge. Meanwhile no talented deep stack player can join the table and start deep. This to me is the beauty of fixed and spread buy games.

Obviously once you get deep in a fixed or spread buy game those extra chips are not easily replaceable if lost so treat them with extra care.

In a minimum buy game you can buy the minimum in an action game and get your money in early with large edges attenuated by the fact that the deep stacks will often be forcing draws out and such (except they can't force you out since you are often all-in by the end of the flop betting).

Hope this helps,

Rick