View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Child Raising - Discipline issues

i made a thread about this awhile back, it was good and enlightening, just as this one is........

1. i was spanked as a kid. actually for what a very very very good kid i was, i was punished very harshly at times as my father was strict and held me to high standards of behavior. the only thing i got in trouble for generally was some vague form of being disrespectful. i love my father and he is very mellow and cool these days and we have discussed that he was way way too hard on me growing up.

i was generally not spanked in anger, but occasionally that did happen. usually a wooden spoon until cried and it hurt.
generally knew why, but occasionally didn't think it was fair. my parents were both very loving though, if that makes sense. when the punishment was over it was over. back to loving their son, business as usual.

2. i have two sons that i will not spank. i don't think it to be needed or necessary.

3. in a sick sort of way i was glad i was raised strictly and spanked. my little bro was not. he was sick as a kid a bunch and ended up being a wild, law breaking hell raiser and a told problem for my parents simply from a lack of discipline. he is fine now though, lol, but my parents still talk about how difficult he was to raise. some of the stories are classic.

i never got in trouble, got great grades, had great friends, but was held to a very high standard of moral and respectful behavior towards older people and authority figures and i am ok with that now. cheers. J.