View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: NLHE:TAP \"Concepts\" Discussion Post (somewhat long)

I have experimented with minraising suited connectors and pocket pairs over limpers with the intention of doubling the pot size- obviously I'll only do this with deeper stacks, as there's no need to build the pot if everyone is playing short.

The point being that if you think that the times you hit your hand and extract maximum value will end up with chips left in the effective stacks, it is better for you if the hand plays twice as big- minraisng accomplishes this very cheaply. Very rarely would you need the pot to play 3 times as big so there's no need to raise any more than the minimum.

Obviously this is exploitable if you only do this with small suited connectors and pocket pairs and never do it with big pairs (and I never would), however

a) if you are at a table with a gazillion limpers seeing a lot of flops, there's a good chance you are at a table where most of the players aren't paying enough attention to exploit you.

b) so many bad players love to minraise with big pairs that it disguises your hand somewhat (I actually had a guy "lol" at me after I showed down 89s after minraising from the button over a bunch of limpers- yes I won a big pot with my straight).

I have not decided if I like this strategy and my sample size is too small to say if it is successful (since the opportunity comes up rarely and you hit your hand so seldom when it does), but I've played around with it.