View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM

Default NLHE:TAP \"Concepts\" Discussion Post (somewhat long)

I just finished read No Limit Hold'Em: Theory and Practice and I would like to hear some opinions on questions I had on some of the 60 concepts at the end.

here goes:

Concept No. 17: If youre preflop raise is called behind you, check a lot of flops.

"thats true even if there is only one caller"
"you should usually check if you don't have very much, and you should check a lot of your good hands as well."

is this before C-bets became popular??
this Concept seems completely opposite of most of what i have read and experienced......

Concept No. 47: It it's clear your opponent has a hand at least worth a call, but he raises instead, it's almost never a bluff.

1. First of all a basic question, he says that post flop the big blind folds - but then youre headsup with the BB for the rest of the hand, is this a typo? and he was meaning to say that youre in the rest of the hand with the PFRasier?

2. What range would you put the person on based on the hand action of this illustrated hand. (guess you have to have the book for this one)

Concept No. 55: Unlike limit, limping first in on the button is frequently correct.

In this section it talks about raised on the button with hands like J9s cuts down on your implied odds (600 stack, 5-10blinds, with a PRasie to 30 you cut down implied odds from 600-10 to 600-30).

my question is: What about min raises from the button with a hand like J9s (or small pocket pairs/ A-X suited - hands that have potential play well after the flop and can win big pots) in order to make a bigger pot for the times you do hit - since it wont be multiway. any theories/ideas/experiences?

Concept No. 56: Pot odds (as opposed to implied odds) matter a lot less in deep stack no limit than in limit.

I may be just confused about the wording of some of this, if you have the book please read it and answer.

Is this concept saying that hands like KJ preflop in Limit are okay to play if youre getting 5-1 on your money (because its not a 5-1 underdog against any hands other than AA and KK) but that you should NOT play them in NL because it is bound to end up a marginal hand - midpairmidkicker, or TPGK post flop?
(just want some clarification)

okay so that was kind of long, thanks in advance - look forward to hearing your input.