View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Default ACers; personal preferences

I'm assuming that most libertarians and ACers have personal preferences which are not always socially liberal and fiscally laissez faire. For example, it's possible to be personally opposed to abortion, but to hold the belief that it's a private decision. It's possible to think drugs are bad, but to think everyone has the right to use them anyways. And it's possible to favor high redistribution of income, but to think that a state (or anyone) is not entitled to force it.

So (with all the talk about AC lately), it dawned on me that I was curious what personal ideologies various ACers might hold (i.e. what their political ideologies might be if they thought the state was legitimate). I'm basically just curious, because I think some of the ACers on here are interesting, but all we ever really hear from them is their AC positions, which might not say much about what they actually value. I figure ACers (personally) range anywhere from devout hippies to staunch social conservatives, and I figure you all have different views on sharing your money with the less privileged and whatnot. But obviously you never talk about that, because your belief that these things are all personal decisions makes your personal beliefs irrelevant to your arguments.

I don't know if this thread will really work, because talking about your personal preferences isn't something y'all probably care much about doing. But hopefully I've phrased my question well enough to give it a shot. It could be interesting.

So to any ACers who want to answer: Do/did you smoke pot? Do you own guns? If you had an accidental pregnancy, would you be OK with abortion? Do you give a lot to charity? If your son was gay, how would you feel about that?