View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: ATo in BB - simple flop question

[ QUOTE ]
What's the worst that can happen if I check... it checks around. Now a whole bunch of cards can come off on the turn to make my pot equity plummet. That's-a no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's the worst that can happen. But what's the best that can happen if it gets checked through? An A appears and you get paid off by a hand that would otherwise fold if you bet out. A blank comes off, and your equity jumps and you can encounter the field with a double-sized bet into a smaller pot. There's two sides to every coin.

In check-raising, the benefit comes from getting bets from hands that would never even call a bet in the first place.

If you were to ask what I should do a couple of years ago in the Paradise 20/40 full ring games in this particular spot (not knowing my specific opponents, but being keenly aware of how the games played), it would be check-raise all day. I'm not sure how Full Tilt runs, but I'm inclined to believe my online opponents are much more aggressive than my live counterparts, and I would at least entertain a check-raise line.

I agree that I was somewhat out of line with the adding information about the button and/or the MP3 and being "inflexible." But I will argue that online game aggression discussion should be part of the mix when making this decision. That should be where the crux of where I thought the "inflexible" thinking came in.

Now, let's try to end this peacefully: We both agree that we should bet/3-bet, right? No disagreement here. But you make it sound like there's no alternative. I'm pretty sure we are both mainly live players, correct? And most of the people here are too. (Please correct me if I'm wrong: TT, Private Joker, bakku I believe are mainly live players). Can we get some mid-stakes online pros (maybe specifically Full Tilt ones) to post here and get their prospective?

I apologize for the "mixing it up" remark. I did not intend to be condescending, and I'm sorry if I insulted you. That's obviously not the case after seeing the hand you played with CDC [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Can we get on with our daily program now?

Garland <font color="yellow"> </font>