Thread: On Ghosting
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: On Ghosting

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you think enforcing my suggestions would have negative effect on the legitimacy of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the tougher issues you are addressing are not unique to online poker but applicable to all forms of poker. If we start putting in place a bunch of rules designed to regulate these things which are impossible to regulate, it will just turn people off from online poker.

In the instance where you were playing against a horse and his backer, what makes you think anything shady was going one if they themselves agreed to the deal?

I feel most players act ethically and in the proper, self-interested manner without needing rules to tell them what's right and wrong. Making a big show of enforcing rules that are only meant to police already-unethical players who won't follow the rules to begin with creates a worse image for new players entering the game and, in reality, won't change the ethical composure of online poker for us full-timers.

"Ah judge, your damn laws--the good people don't need 'em and the bad people don't obey 'em."

[/ QUOTE ]

Very incorrect. I know tons of fellow online poker players that will and do ask for and give advice during hands. They are not bad people, it's just that Lee Jones and others have stated explicitly it is allowed, so they do it. If it were explicitly banned, regardless of enforceability, most of these same people would never do it, because they are ethical people, not rule breakers.

This is exactly why a "one player to a hand" rule is vital for online poker. It will remove all this grey area stuff, and make it very clear that anything involving anything other then the actual player playing a hand, on his own, is unethical and against the rules, and then the only question left is just enforcing it, which admittedly is quite difficult but it's better then having the free-for-all endless grey area crap that we're dealing with now.