View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: When are games too good?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely don't hate games like this, but because of the "schooling" effect they aren't the easiest to play. The variance almost makes it a crap shoot. The only edge seems to be preflop hand selection and knowing when you obv drawing dead (although knowing if you are drawing dead in these games is tough too).

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of envy you. Guys like me, we have to wait months for a good new poker book to come out. You, on the other hand, have about 20 in the book store waiting for you right now that will be great reading :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reading one right now that talks about this very thing. Check out page 80 of Poker Essays by Mason Malmuth.

I'm not saying that I don't know what the right play is most of the time in games like this. It is usually obv. My biggest problem is that I usually have no idea how strong my hand is when most of the players check and call, check and call. They seem to slow play everything. {shrug}

I definitely have a lot to learn about playing holdem, but I'm not that new. I've read 15 of those books already, some of them twice or three times.

I definitely think the law of diminishing returns applies here. It doesn't mean you should avoid tables like this. It just means that every bad player that joins doesn't contribute another equal amount of dead money to the good players.

I just brought this up because it is something that I have read about but never experienced until now. It's not a rant about running bad or suck outs. I don't care about that. It was an interesting experience, that's all.