Thread: Down swings
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Down swings

[ QUOTE ]
Ignoring for the moment all the smart-asses that inhabit this forum, I am running bad right now too and I can relate. I have been beating online poker for 48 months without ever having a losing month. Like you, I play in my spare time, as I am a professional by day.

I use my poker income to pay my son's private school tuition of $750 per month, and for fun stuff like family vacations, nice dinners, and for the occasional trip to Vegas for my wife and me.

Anyway, last month I had my first losing month ever. It was only a $100 loss after rakeback, but it really bothered me. I took a week off of poker, and even switched from Full Tilt to Cake Poker (I figured the $500 sign up bonus would help me recover.)

As I write this I am down 14 buy-ins for the month, after experiencing some of the worst luck I have ever seen, let alone been the victim of. Combined with last month, I am now at 21 buy-ins to the bad.

I have lost track of the number of two-outers that have hit me, after getting money all in. Last night, for example, I got my money in the pot six times where I was an 80% or better favorite. I won ONE of those hands. I understand that this is part of the game, but I am unaccustomed to having so many of these type beats in such quick succession.

I wish I could offer some magic bullet that would cure what you and I are going through, but my plan is to re-read a couple of poker books, make sure that my game is still sound, and get back into it when I feel confident again.

I am a winning poker player. My poker tracker shows a steady upward trend in my profit, until the last six weeks or so. I know I will recover, but this run really has thrown me for a loop.

Good luck and I hope to see a follow-up to this thread reporting a big up-swing (or at least a steady win-rate) soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No losing months followed by one, hmm, variance catching up maybe?