View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Having a flick through the 2p2 NL book...

[ QUOTE ]
I have often tried to say on these forums that in NL pot odds are close to meaningless preflop.

I get slammed every time, but I'm right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sort of. I mean, the current odds are kind of irrelevant, but you need to be thinking of the implied odds on *both* sides. That is you need to compare:

A. How often KJ will catch a piece of the flop, but still be behind AA, and how much you will lose in those spots.

B. How often KJ will beat AA, and how much you will win in those spots.

Obviously you will win more in B than in A, but B will happen much less often than A (and obviously skill of opponent, position, etc weigh heavily in these situations). The reason playing 46s (or suited connector of your choice) is considered better is that you will generally lose much less in situation A, and to a lesser degree an opponent might have a harder time putting you on a hand, though if you routinely play small suited connectors, good opponents are going to notice.

So the actual amount you are committing preflop probably is somewhat irrelivent if it's only 2-5% of your stack, and what Sklansky is saying in his sometimes ackward and poorly edited way is that you need to consider potential the stack impacts of all future streets preflop.