View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
There are other things governments can do, aside from simply making the laws more draconian, that can reduce alcohol-related accidents and deaths. Like making mass-transit (cabs,etc) easily accessible and cheap. I already linked a politics thread about that, I guess its safe to assume nobody read it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely agree that this would be a hugely beneficial thing to do. In Japan teenagers can buy alcohol very easily and the reason people don't care is that those teenagers won't be driving home--they'll be taking the subway or walking. Unfortunately the geography and infrastructure of the United States makes it impossible to have such an effective public transportation system here.

As to your other paragraph, come on man you know better than to invoke such a slippery slope argument. FWIW I'm in favor of legalization of weed, but I would also be in favor of comparably harsh driving while high laws.

Bottom line is driving is an inherently very dangerous activity, and somehow most people don't realize that (or at least act as if they don't). They have to be kept in line because they will do genuinely retarded [censored] while driving, and I'm in favor of that because it protects me.