View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

I hope you learn something while you are there. 3 DUIS, some of them aggravated (you shouldn't have been driving, even sober), definitely deserve this sentence, if just to have you off the roads.

What's the difference between a drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who makes it home and falls asleep and the drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who head-on's a family on the way home from visiting their grandparents?

Just luck.

Therefore I don't think whether an accident even occurred should be relevant - it's like blindfolding yourself, twirling around, and firing a bullet in a mostly empty city street. Most of the time you'll miss, but occasionally you'll hit someone. Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

I say you deserve your 2.5 years, not because penalties like this scare others into not DUI-ing, but because you being off the road is safer for the rest of us.

Do what you want with your friends and other consensual people, but don't play Russian roulette with uninvolved parties by stepping behind the wheel of a vehical you can't properly control.

edit: And yeah, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were somehow still a competent driver while drunk.