View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Its a bad call to give an NBA GM worst GM in history status if they come into a horrible situation, because its so hard to rebuild in the NBA with the way the salary cap is structured if you have horrible contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being way too kind. OK so he didn't sign Allan Houston to 20 per. But he did:

1. Trade for Marbury's huge contract, along with overpaid Penny Hardaway.
2. Later, traded Hardaway (in the final year of his contract) and a good young talent in Ariza for Francis (Marbury 2.0), who was clearly not that good anymore and whose contract would be on the books for 3 more seasons.
3. Signs Jerome James for ~$6M per for 5 years (6 mpg wooh!)
4. Trades away tons of first rounders for Curry's bloated contract.
5. Traded Kurt Thomas's remaining $22M/3years for Q-Rich's $37/5years.
6. Not content to let Francis's contract come off the books in '09, he trades it for Z-Bo's, which comes off the books in '11. At least this guy's got some talent and can grab some boards. I wonder if two overweight, all-offense no defense front court players will work together?

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether #4 turns out to be good or bad is still up in the air. The deal turned out to be:

Eddy Curry
Antonio Davis
Wilson Chandler

FOR

Tyrus Thomas
Tim Thomas
Michael Sweetney
Jermaine Jackson
Joakim Noah
Aaron Gray
2009 2nd round draft pick

"I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things."- Yes you're missing out on David Lee at #30, Renaldo Balkman at #23, Trevor Ariza at #44, and getting Jamal Crawfor for Othetlla Harrington/Frank Williams/Dikembe Mutombo/Cezary Trybanski.