View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
Good thing you brought this back. I'm trying to get into a top 25 law school; I'm going into junior year with a 3.7 at a mid-tier undergrad school - what kind of grades/LSAT would I need to counter the quality of the school I'm going to right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very impressive GPA, I don't think where you went to undergrad matters as much as some people think unless you go to Harvard/Yale/Stanford or to a community college on the other end. Schools will get an avg. LSAT/GPA for people from your school to compare you against.

People generally talk about the T14 (per USNEWS) although that is really tiered into HYS>>>Columbia/NYU/Chicago>>>>>>rest.

Two good resources are on the lsac.org website there is a gps/lsat calculator and also www.lawschoolnumbers.com provides real people's results.

Just make sure that you don't get too excited until you see who is and is not a minority as URM seem to get a healthy bump.

As for LSAT, the difference in a couple points means nothing as far as intelligence, but could mean everything as far as admission.

I had a 3.5 in college and got a 172 on the LSAT. I got into some T14 schools, but I knew what I wanted, took the money at a lower ranked school, because i was confident I could do well enough to get the jobs I was interested in. In retrospect, maybe I should have gone to the higher school for clerkship or possible academia opportunities, but I will be happily graduating with 100k less in loans than if I went to a higher ranked school.

As for the LSAT, practice full length timed tests. Develope a strategy. With your GPA, if you're not scoring in the 170s you can probably do better. Maybe take a class if and only if you will do the assignments they tell you to do. You can do it on your own, but sometimes the structure of a class is nice.