View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to work in BigLaw (I'm assuming that's what you want to do when you get out too)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of the suckers that is looking for a quality of life Big Firm, and I know that none of those truly exist, but there are some that are worse/better than others.

Thanks to scholarships, I have significantly less loans than most, but still up near six figures. I'd like to get that paid off asap.

I also feel like it helps keep my options open more for possible lateral moves to in-house counsel, government work, etc. I am still not really sure exactly what practice areas I will be looking into, although right now litigation and real estate are two that stick out to me, and I know that you can move to the business side if you get experience and develop some contacts while at a big firm.

I know thats it is not for everyone, but I have talked to some people that are genuinely happy at top firms, and usually work like 9-7 moday to friday and then do like 4-8 hours on the weekends. Obviously there will be weeks of crazy hours, but I think I can handle that.

I don't see myself staying at a big firm and getting on the partner track, but if i enjoy it, who knows.

Cliff notes: Money, future opportunities, etc.