View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: abusing bad TAG players preflop [theory]

Hypothetically if this was the last hand of poker you were going to play, or you knew you would never see these villains again, sure its +EV to repop IP pre and fire away on the flop.

But you have to consider the optimal long term frequency of 3 betting you engage in at these games. And if you're including 84 in there that frequency is gonna get exploitably high. Its getting more standard to 4 bet light (esp after CTS vids) when its pretty obvious the 3 bet has a very wide range, same as the 3 bet became pervasive once people started pf raising with all kinds of stuff.

I strive for a 3 bet range of "I can't at all rule out a light 3 bet (97s, 55, etc) but he prob has it". Lately I've actually tightened up my 3 bet range (esp from blinds) vs aggro CTS wannabes, since they think everyone else is 3 betting light because that is their way of playing, and they project that onto others. If villain thinks you're horsing around and decides to play back when in reality you're just being patient waiting for it that is a great +EV spot.

Fold the 84, wait for something halfway decent if you decide to pick on a weak opponent. You c-bet, get called, oops. If you barrel the turn you really want a fold not just for the pot, but showing down 84o is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].