Thread: 10k post
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 10k post

Are you planning to play pro once ur done with school? If not, how much money would it take for u to do so? IF yes, what do u think u will be doing in 10 years.

I am planning on going pro when I finish my degree this spring (on time). I thought for awhile that I would drop out because the allure of poker money is pretty strong, but I stuck through it primarily because of the limiting effect that would have had on my life.

Poker is very profitable and I love it, but im sure after a few years of playing pro I will become very very bored with it. Therefore its crucial to graduate with a solid GPA and CV. Thats something that never made sense to me that I see all the time. People like us, in school, choosing the in between path. Its so stupid, yet probably most of you do it. You play 20-30k hand months in school and get mid to crappy marks. Why? If you quit and went pro you could get twice as many hands and presumably make twice as much money. Most people will cite the fact that they too want a backup plan. But what they dont realize is they havnt provided themselves with one. The job markets can be a surprising place. If you take a few years off to play cards and want to come back at 24, it can be next to impossible to get a good job. The only way to even have a chance is if you excelled at school and have a good resume. if you have a 3.0 GPA and a Bcom or BA who cares? You honestly think anyone would hire you for any sort of attractive job? The only ones available will be starter jobs. These will be low paying jobs that provide very little challenge and stimulation. It would be much more boring than poker.

Therefor people trying to do both are shooting themselves in the foot. Figure out what you want and go for it, but give it your all. If that means dropping out with no looking back, fine. If that means, like me, you want the safety net of a degree, then finish school. But dont muddle around lying to yourself that you can get back into the workforce at a respectable place because it just wont happen. The world is becoming more and more specialized all the time and you have to choose what you will focus on as well, because trying to be a jack-of-all-trades will not work in this case for the majority of people.

In ten years I have no idea but I imagine I will be managing my own portfolio in the stock market. I believe I have taken steps in the last 3 years that will allow me to do that even after deciding to play professionally for 2-3 years.