View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
This thread should have more heated discussion imo.

Therefore I submit the following:

- Americans are generally more superficial than Europeans. This is reflected in everything from Hollywood movies to celebrity obsession to SUV's to general interest in foreign matters. I find it's reflected on a micro-scale as well. Personal interactions seem to be more shallow in the US.<font color="red"> -I can only go by my native Norway, and Norwegians are way way more fixated on celebrities than the average (at least mid-west) American. The Americans I meet are usually indifferent to celebrities, while Norwegians tend to be pretty fascinated and interrested in them. When it comes to being superficial Norwegians care a lot more about what people wear, never have I seen people in the US judge other people or care much about the way they dress the way that we do in Norway. </font>

- The smartest Americans are smarter than the smartest Europeans, but the stupidest Americans are stupider than the stupidest Europeans, and the number of stupid people is far higher than the number of smart people. Whether this is a good, bad or neutral thing I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.<font color="red"> -I havent been to Southern or Eastern-Europe much, but my general feeling is that they have rather poor education and little understanding of the world outside their area. Its not unusual to meet Englishmen who have no idea where Norway is, even though its fairly close to UK. Ive dont think there are more stupid people in US (in %) than Norway, but Americans love to put the stupid people on TV (Like on Jay Leno-show) to expose their stupidity, while in Norway they are kept away from television in order to protect themselves. In Norway there is also great opposition to standarized testing, so we dont expose the gaps in common knowledge like the US does. I know by expeerience that the average high school kid in Norway is far from being as informed about the outer world (both in politics and geography) as we like to think they are. Norwegians are also way more inclined to "be sure" about something they in reality know very little about. I dont know how much stupid crap that have been passed on as "fact" about the US and Americans in Norway, by people who have very limited knowledge about the country and its people. Its pretty embarrassing that we can be exposed to so much American media in Norway and still the Norwegians have a totally wrong understanding of the US. Americans are more likely to admit that they lack knowledge about other countries and cultures, and do not have that "I know this so much better than you"-attitude that you usually find in Norway.</font>

- Your chicks: Not very hot imo, and you have a [censored] up beauty ideal. Fake-titted blonds covered in 3 kilos of makeup are generally not hot fyi.<font color="red"> -Where in the US have you beeen? Most American women are not like the LA-people you see on TV. Scandinavian girls are usually better looking than Americans, but Americans are superior to the Brits, Dutch, Germans, Polaks, Bulgarians and so on. Fake tiits are by no means limited to the US, pretty common in Norway and the rest of Europe to. </font>